Sunday, March 31, 2019


I've had the best time lately playing with the new  Finnabair Prima Moulds from Retro Cafe Art Gallery.  For my first project with them, I decided to use them on one of the large Santos dolls from Retro. The Santos dolls are always one of my favorite go to projects.

For this particular project, I created on each piece before putting the doll together. I do like to Gesso the pieces first just to give it a good base to grab paint and paper and to give the pieces a white base. Once all the pieces were dry, I began by cutting strips of tissue paper from the Finnabair Tissue Paper - Flutter, and adhering them to the slats of the cage using matt gel medium.

I continued to add pieces of tissue on the front arms, body and the bottom of the cage. After all the tissue was added, I used acrylic paint and blended colors that would go with the tissue paper, not necessarily using the same color on all the pieces. I just randomly added color here and there. 

While paint was drying, it was time to paint the pieces that I made from the  the Finnabair Prima Moulds, large clock, bees and wings. Once dry, I glued the large clock piece to the front of the body using tacky glue.
Next, I added the arms to the body with the use of the brads. You must do this first before adding the wings.

 I love that the wings fit perfectly around the shoulders of the Santos but I was afraid they would not be secure enough just glued to the shoulders so I also added a wooden tongue depressor to the back that extended beyond the shoulders and that gave me an added base on which to glue the wings.

On the front of the body, I added one of the adhesive photos from Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Booth Strips just above the clock. Perhaps a memory of a beloved BeeKeeper.

The face is one of the Frida Kahlo faces from Retro, (I altered it a tad) and glued it on the head of the body. Then I added one of the bees from the Finnabair Prima Moulds to her hair.
Now that the upper part of the doll was complete, it was time to assemble the cage with the slats. This was easy to do using tacky glue and letting the cage completely dry before trying to fit the upper body into the slot to attach both pieces together.
Once both pieces were attached, I added a cut out clock behind her head that I found in my stash of stuff.

I used alpha rubber stamps to add the words on front: HONOR THY BEEKEEPER.
On the back side with a black pen I wrote: 
"Their feet are dusted with Spices from a million little flowers" and stamped a dragonfly from Finnabair Cling Mount Stamp Set, Dare to Dream.

I really love the way she turned out and discovering the versatility of the Finnabair Prima Moulds. I have a feeling I will be using them in a lot of future projects, not to mention you can also use them for chocolate and candy moulds. I think a chocolate clock sounds good about now!

All good things,

Finnabair Prima Clock Mould
Acrylic Paint
Tacky Glue
Wood Tongue Depressor
Alpha Rubber Stamps
Stazon Ink


  1. BEE STILL MY HEART!!! She's divine! Frida would definitely approve! xoxo

  2. Kim, She is absolutely amazing! One of my new favorites!! I love the saying you put on her back and great idea with the stick for the wings!
    her colors are so earthy and gorgeous!
    Jackie xoxo


Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. You are a blessing to me!